Tuesday, 10 October 2017
Diocesan Training Day:
The first in a series of training days for clergy and readers in the united dioceses is a day on Parish Communications.
Venue: Saint Mary’s Parish Centre, beside the Church, in Killarney, Co Kerry.
Date and time: Monday 23 October, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The facilitators are:
● The Diocesan Communications Officer, the Revd Michael Cavanagh, Priest-in-Charge of the Kenmare and Dromod Union of Parishes;
● The Editor of Newslink, Joc Sanders;
● Canon Patrick Comerford, Director of Training and Education in the Dioceses and a former journalist.
The topics for discussion include:
● working with local radio stations, newspapers;
● working with the diocesan magazine;
● how to use social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Blogs and websites, in your parish;
● producing parish newsletters and hand-outs.
The day begins at 11, is open to all clergy and diocesan and readers in the united diocese, and ends at 3 p.m.
In addition, parishioners involved in a hands-on role in this work may be interested in taking part.
In advance, as preparation, the Revd Michael Cavanagh asks those taking part to submit to him by Friday 13 October one sample of written work (not a list of things you have included in parish notes, but, for example, a narrative account of an event that may have been part of parish notes or a newsletter).
This helps Michael to assess and respond to writing and communications skills.